12/24/2010

Follow the Star

All of these pictures are dark and blurry...sorry about that! I had not replaced my memory card yet and Stephan's camera is not good in low light. Above is a picture Stephan took as the sun went down during a recent shopping trip in downtown Cedarburg. That morning after Sunday school practice, Norah and I had a fun shopping day in Cedarburg. She was so helpful and patient in all the shops. She let me hold her in the shops where I was most fearful of broken glass. I gave her the job of opening the door at each shop (she loves that) and did also promise we would end up sitting at one of the cute tables at Ashley's sweets shop and that she could pick out one special item. (usually a chocolate covered pretzel) The sky was full if big, soft flurries and it looked magical against the backdrop of the Christmas decorations up and down the main street. Later that day, Stephan and I had a shopping trip together. It was fun to hunt for the santa ornament he would enter into the Young/Eaton family ornament contest. It has to be a santa, cost less then $10, and be an actual tree ornament (not another decoration with a make shift hook). Stephan went to four stores. It was hard to find one under $10, our favorites seemed to be $12-14. He finally found the perfect one & came in first runner up in the contest! Not a bad showing for the first year. When we passed the florist in the picture above, he said "That looks like Christmas." The picture doesn't quite capture it, but the whole street twinkles and glows. I love it! I also accomplished my goal of buying everything local or handmade. I bought a few handmade items from etsy, but everything else was purchased in Cedarburg or Mequon. (Casey bought things from elsewhere though...we split our long list for shopping.) Have you heard about Project 3/50? It's the idea that if you shop at 3 favorite local stores and spend $50, you can help save local businesses.
The next day was finally the day of Norah's Sunday school Christmas show "Follow the Star." They sang four songs, played the bells, and some of the older children read and acted out parts of the Christmas story. During the rehearsals, I stayed out of sight because I distract her. It's actually quite hard for me to teach the 3rd graders because she wants me to be in her class. During the actual show during the church service, she spent the entire time waving to us in the audience! Grandpa and Grandma came too. I hope they could see her...it was a packed house!


All lined up and ready to go on stage....

0 comments: